Sep 29, 2008

Kicking off Breast Cancer Awareness month a few days early!

I know it's a few days early, but I'm kicking off Breast Cancer Awareness month a few days early.October is such an important month in my life because my mother was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer when she was only 38. With some treatment, she was able to get rid of it and has been cancer free now for 8 years!I know some women dread going to the gynecologist, let alone getting their boobs smashed with really cold metal, but read some of these facts:

♦ An estimated 182,800 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2008.
♦ Approximately 42,200 deaths will occur in women from breast cancer in 2008.
♦ One in eight women or 12.6% of all women will get breast cancer in her lifetime.
♦ Breast cancer risk increases with age and every woman is at risk.
Every 13 minutes a woman dies of breast cancer.

And these numbers keep raising.

To start off, I'm linking a few good sites to read. Please talk to your family and know your risk. Do a self breast check every month. It's very simple to do and can be done in a minute while taking a shower, or even while laying around watching TV. Doing a simple self-exam is how my mother caught hers.

Susan Komen for the Cure: Breast Self Awareness
Susan G. Komen for the Cure: How to do a breast self-exam

Please read and watch the video and share with your girlfriends.

Early protection can save your life!

P.S. I'll be updating blog all month long with tips and facts. Oh, and sport the pink so show you're a supporter!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments!
I like to respond to them individually, so make sure your email is linked to your blog.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com