Aug 13, 2009

My God Moment

So I decided to write another post about one of the prompts on the Writer's Workshop over at Mama's Losin' It.

The prompt was:
3.) Describe one of your 'God Moments'.
(inspired by Jordan from Wide Open Spaces)

Well that got me thinking about the first time I've ever felt God's presence around me and I thought I'd share it with you all.

Growing up like most Christian families, I went to church every Sunday. I dreaded going to church because it meant I had to get up really early on my day off from school, but I was obedient and went every week with my grandmother.

We would get to church and I would zone out and go into my own little world for the hour and a half we were there. Once I became a teenager, I quickly got a job and had an excuse for not going to church.
I never stepped foot into a church after that for many years.

I soon began to question God and his existence. I saw so many horrible things around me and kept asking myself, "If there was a God, why would he allow all of this to happen?"

So I went on with life, ended up doing a bunch of destructive things and fell into a deep depression.
When I moved to Alaska, I became friends with
a guy and he introduced me to his cousin, Aaron. We began hanging out together all the time, doing destructive things any chance we got.

After awhile, we just went our separate way
.
Life went on as always, when a job brought me into the town where I met up with my friend again. At this time, he cleaned up his act, was working, and had an apartment with his brother.
Things just started picking up between us aga
in and we were sort of dating. He later asked me if I wanted to go to church with him.
That was a really sore subject with me and he knew it, but he assured me that he would be with me the entire time and it will
be ok.
I agreed to go the next week.

It turns out that the church that my friend goes to was having a week long revival. It was a little weird because I went to a very quiet church growing up. This was loud, yelling, singing, hand clap
ping, and I loved it!!
While I was sitting there listening to the pa
stor and all of these people, I had a feeling wash over me. All of my troubles left me and I just sat in this feeling and I was content.
I decided to go back all week long and every day I started feeling better about life, physically and emotionally. Every time I thought about going back to church or anything, I felt the same feeling wa
sh over my body.
The last night of the revival I prayed for the first time years. I prayed about EVERYTHING. Anything that popped in my head.
After the revival my friend had asked if I had ever been baptized. I told him of course, when I was first born, but he wanted to know if I had been baptized as an adult.
That got me thinking.

I thought long and hard for awhile and I began attending church every Sunday. I got to sit down and talk with one of the pastors at the church I was going to and got to tell him my story and how I was feeling right now.
I wanted to continue going to church, I felt that God was leading me his way and my heart was finally open to hear it.

The pastor recommend that I re-dedicate myself and get baptized.
So a month and a half after I first started
going to church, I was baptized.
I think God chose that moment when I was at the revival and led me back to him. I've been happy ever since...

Oh, and that friend that led me his way...
He's my wonderful Hubs now =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments!
I like to respond to them individually, so make sure your email is linked to your blog.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com