Jun 10, 2010

My landlord and lesson learned

My new landlord is friggin' awesome!
He let us move in 8 days early without charging extra, he comes over right away when we have a problem, he comes to the hospital and texts me when it's time for rent so I can run down and give it to him, and he checks in every so often to see if there are any problems. All in all he's a great guy!

Well last week, rent was due and I called him to tell him I had a check.
I had gone to the bank and gotten a cashier's check instead o writing a personal check because when you're poor like me, and the landlord sets on your check for a week or two before cashing it, it completely messes with my banking and I ALWAYS go in the hole in my account.

Well my landlord texted me at work and said he was in the lobby, so I ran downstairs and gave it to him. It was almost perfect timing because I was off in 15 minutes. So after handing him my cashier's check, he told me he was going to check some keys for me and he'd see me at the apartment.

15 minutes go by and I clock out. I drove home, which I seriously live 1.3 miles from where I work and I turned on my street.
I noticed my landlord's truck racing behind me as I pulled into my parking spot. He jumped out of the car and raced up to me and asked me to help him find the check.
My jaw dropped down to the ground.
He had lost my check!

I asked him if he checked all of his pockets, looked around in his truck, looked around the property, and looked in the hallways. I was frantic for him!
We ended up not finding it, so he asked me to call the bank and ask if I could put a stop payment on the check. He left to look at other places.
In the meantime, I called my bank and they told me because it was a cashier's check, it would take up to 30 days to get his money! I was freakin' out at this point.

It was about 20 minutes later and my landlord calls me back and tells me he found the check. I asked him where he found it and he laughed and told me he found it in one of the lower pockets in his pants. I started laughing at him. I'm so glad he found it!

So what have I learned from this experience?
Don't ever get a cashier's check for him again.
Next month I will be directly depositing rent money into his bank account!

- Posted from my iPhone

1 comments:

Trudy said...

So glad he found the check, I would have been freaking out!

Post a Comment

I <3 comments!
I like to respond to them individually, so make sure your email is linked to your blog.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com