Jul 24, 2010

Saving lives isn't all that bad

Working at a hospital, I see how important certain things are.
Especially donating blood.

In the past 2 months, we've had a small plane crash a few miles away from the hospital, 2 shootings, and 18 car accidents.
What do all of these things have in common?
They all needed blood.

We got word that there was a shortage in blood due to all of these accidents.
Our local Blood Bank of Alaska held a blood drive at the hospital so all of the employees could donate.
I had never donated before, so I figured I would give it a try.

I'll admit, I was scared.
I was afraid I was going to have a panic attack from losing so much blood.
A pint looks like so much!!

I went in and filled out the medical questionnaire, had my pulse, blood pressure, and iron count taken.

They took me so these converted seats on the bus and got to lay back and so on juice while they tried to find a vein. I was impressed with the lady. She stuck me once and I didn't even feel it.

I ended up gushing, which they say is a good thing. It only took 4 minutes to fill the bag! I didn't even get sick or have a panic attack.

While I was sitting there, I did get to talk to the ladies and some doctors that were sitting there and found out that out of everyone eligible to donate blood, only 5% actually do. 5%…That's crazy!

Well I had a very positive experience donating my blood and will be a repeat donor.

What about you?
Has anyone donates blood before?
What were your experiences?

And if you haven't donated, what is stopping you?



1 comments:

Green Monkey said...

thank you for reminding me!

enjoyed reading over your bucket list

Post a Comment

I <3 comments!
I like to respond to them individually, so make sure your email is linked to your blog.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com